Open Water Fishing
Come to the NW Angle area of Lake of the Woods for legendary fishing! Guests travel to us from all over the country for the opportunity to experience our unique natural elements that combine to provide world-class fishing.
Open-Water Fishing FAQs
What’s so special about fishing at the Angle? (We’re glad you asked!)
- Nearly 500 square miles of water
- Thousands of islands, most of which are uninhabited
- Abundance of rocky reefs and structures
- Exquisite wilderness scenery
- Part of the Canadian Shield, with water flowing from Rainy Lake to Hudson Bay
What are the main targeted species?
- Smallmouth Bass
- Northern Pike
What fishing license do I need and where do I get it?
- If you plan to fish in MN, you can purchase your license online here or in our lodge.
- If you plan to fish in Canada, purchase your license here. If you prefer, we will be happy to process the online purchase for you upon your arrival. You must have a photo ID, credit card, and if you are an existing customer, you will need your Outdoors Card number . We offer this service free of charge to our guests. Those who are not guests of the resort will be charged a $5 processing fee.
- Our guides fish primarily in Canada, so if you have a guided trip planned, you will need a Canadian license. See above.
Do I really need a fishing guide?
It is certainly not required, but if you are new to our area of Lake of the Woods, we highly recommend booking a guide for at least the first day or two to get acclimated to the area. For more information on booking a guide, please click here.
What should I bring for fishing?
- Fishing gear
- Fishing license and ID
- Polarized sunglasses
- Insect repellant
- Clothing for all weather (Our guides fish in all conditions, unless there is lightning; dress accordingly.)
- Lunch (unless you have arranged for shore lunch with your guide)
- For advice from our guides, click here.
What is the reporting process for fishing in Canada?
For official information, please click here.
When does the Minnesota fishing season start/close and what are the limits?
- For a PDF format of MN Fishing Regulations, click here. See page 55.
- Free copies of the Regulations booklet are available in the lodge.
When does the Ontario fishing season start/close and what are the limits?
For a PDF format of Ontario Fishing Regulations, click here. See Zone 5.